Thursday, March 1, 2012

4 days left

Yesterday I cut my hair. It was a sad event, so I want to dedicate this first blog entry to my beautiful hair. Hair, I'm sorry I had to cut you so short but know that you will grow back even more luscious and healthy one day... 

The last picture with my hair.
I can't believe it's come down to this. Four more days and I'll be on my way first to D.C. for a quick one day orientation and then off to Senegal for two years! My emotions this past week have been changing about every 10 minutes. One second I'm excited, the next I'm scared, the next I'm stressed, but I'm mostly just trying to keep myself occupied with packing and saying goodbye to my friends and family. On Monday I did a Costco/Target/REI run to get some last minute things for my big adventure. A few highlights of my shopping list included: taco seasoning, baby wipes, a new camera, lots of deodorant, and instant mash potatoes. It's crazy to try and plan a two year stay in a third world country. You are never going to be fully prepared and you most definitely won't know what luxuries you're going to miss until you're there. My friend Sinae, who served in the Peace Corps in Ghana, has been such a big help with my packing list (shout out to NaeNae)!

That's probably enough of an update for now. I just wanted to get my blog up and posted while I have time and before I actually arrive to Senegal. Thank you to all my friends and family who have been supporting me over the past few months. It's been quite the emotional roller coaster, and these last few days aren't going to be any exception. Check back often, I hope to update my blog as much as I can! Email me too...I will appreciate all the communication from back home. Love you all!

-Chip
chip.p.ko@gmail.com





7 comments:

  1. I have been on a roller coaster too! I will miss you so much!! Loving you always, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we can mail you stuff right? Just let us know what you need and care packages will be enroute. J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you the best C.P. I know this will be an amazing experience for you and my prayers and thoughts will be with you. I miss you too "Hair", but I know it will look sexier in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chip, I am so proud of you! We've talked a lot about life, dance, jobs, football teams and the silly jv squads. I know this is such an exciting time in your life and it couldn't have come at a better time. Embrace change with an open mind and an open heart. I'm jealous of your future travels but looking forward to the stories. I'm truly going to miss our Thursday chats ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be an incredible journey. I can't wait to fast forward to see how this changes you, inspires you, and alters your world view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you, Chip! It's going to be weird not to be able to randomly text you during the day or meet you for dinner after work :( But, I am so excited to read your updates and hear about your experiences. I am so proud of you for taking a risk to help others and move outside of your comfort zone - I admire that courage. I know for a fact that we will continue to build our friendship over the next two years regardless of what country you are in. Have a safe flight and I will talk to you soon!!! Love you tons,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chippy! I'm so glad you got the instant mashed potatoes and taco seasoning! Trust me, you'll be so glad you brought it! Can't wait to hear more about your journey through your service! Love you and enjoy staging (said with French accent)!

    ReplyDelete